Thursday, January 22, 2009


From the Columbus Alive's website.

You know, me and Ana, total paparazzi darlings. Man, this is hilarious to me, as someone whose finger is not on the pulse, someone who is not part of the scene.

Tonight, at Thursday Family Dinner, Christina explained the unique Winter Intersession at the high school where she teaches. Federal Hocking is the poorest district in Athens county, which is among the poorest counties in the state of Ohio. Appalachia can be a hopeless place to grow up, and Christina's school has taken several unconventional approaches to engage students who are cynical and often fatalistic. After Christmas break, the teachers get to showcase their non-teaching talents in a week of seminars. Leather-working, improv comedy, scrapbooking, macrame, you name it. I felt troubled upon realizing that I couldn't come up with a hobby or skill that I could teach. Do I not have hobbies? Sitting on my friends' laps at bars doesn't count.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Since when does Ana look so uncomfortable from Evie hugs? Cooking is your hobby by the way or at least (like me) daydreaming about the delicious things you can put together to make a mouth watering vegetarian dish.