Monday, January 19, 2009


Today was my first time actually observing MLK Jr. Day as a National Day of Service. In the past I have always paid homage to the civil rights leader by...sleeping late. While the government's official MLK Jr. Day website listed lots of volunteer opportunities in the southeastern Ohio area, I wasn't quite sure I had the stones to show up to some church basement twenty minutes away in capital-R rural Ohio and meekly ask if there was anything I could do. Also, B. is parked behind me.

However, there were several blood drives on campus and I talked Sjan into accompanying me even though she has teeny tiny angelhair-pasta veins and the Red Cross workers basically had to make Swiss cheese of her antecubital before they struck oil. Since I bleed like a stuck pig, we were on our way to Bagel Street for celebratory bage-wiches in no time.

Also is it really "service" if you get free cookies afterwards? Because if there are snacks in it for me, here, have a lightly used kidney.

No comments: