Monday, September 1, 2008


My most dreaded social snafu is the Double Goodbye. Not only is it awkward, but I'm pretty sure it's unlucky. It occurs when you leave a social situation, make your exit known, say your farewells. Then you get outside and realize you've forgotten your keys! Now you have to re-enter the gathering and sheepishly half-goodbye as you leave. The worst. My potluck was last Friday, but I was still in Columbus for several days after that. So even though everyone said their goodbyes Friday as they left, they ran into me the next night. And then the next night. "Aren't you supposed to be gone?" Double Goodbye. Triple Goodbye. Quadruple Goodbye. It's enough to make a girl go into hiding.

This photo was taken in June at my friends Chris and Erin's wedding party. Most of my summer was this drunk, but nowhere near this buttoned-up. In this picture I'm about an hour short of crashing my bike, getting back on it, and waking up on my friends' couch an hour before my parents were due in town to watch me walk at graduation. Jesus Christ, the sun was bright in that stadium.

It's the twilight of an, um, convivial summer? The debauchery is about to get very, very reined in. Because of the rigorous courseload. And because I have no friends.

No comments: